Miley Cyrus did her “twerking” and while people and critics were confused, appalled, and outraged, her social media said one thing…twerking was working.
Check out these stats*:
1. Topped Googles “hot searches”
2. Added 100,000 Instagram followers
3. Added 50,000 Facebook likes
4. Peaked at 300,000 Twitter mentions per minute (Oh BTW the best last years SuperBowl did was 231K)
So what do we learn from this?
1. Moving outside of the normal creates buzz
Too often we want to fit in, avoid the critics, and be part of the status quo. Why? No one cares if you look like everyone else. Boring is still boring. Even if you cause a stir or is possibly unpopular, it creates buzz, creates conversations, and creates interest.
2. Calculated ploys work
Do you think for one minute that Miley just showed up and did this impromptu. NO WAY! This was calculated. This was about creating a buzz. This was not only carefully calculated it was rehearsed. If you plan your social media well enough and it is different or something outrageous you may go viral.
3. You must take risks Read more